michaw(1) – “cultivated pragmatism since 1982”
paulibytes(1) – “the digital the better”
michaw [<optional>…] <flags>
paulibytes [<optional>…] <flags>
michaw is a German-based IT consultant who focuses on security, infrastructure and system automation.
michaw.de website is a quick online representation intended for people searching the interweb.
paulibytes is a limited company I founded in 2019. Due to other projects this website is currently also the default company page.
- 1982 born in Dresden
- 1986 Berlin
- 2001 Wedel / Hamburg
- 2010 Mbeya, Tanzania
- 2016 Hamburg
- mum loves to tell that I could start games on our Atari 800 w/ XC12 before writing my name
- learing Basic programming from the age of 6
- first html and js programming with 11
- started exploring windows network security about the same age
- contact with Linux starting with SuSE 4.3 in 1996
- building fli4l low cost routers for German dial-in internet
- custom kernels and Xfce in 1998 to match limitied resources of old AMD K6 II 350MHz
- going through SlackWare, RedHat, TurboLinux, Mandrake, Gentoo and Debian
- highly customized versions of WindowMaker, XFCE, later E17 wth XFree86, X11, Xorg and composite extensions
- earyl 00’s it’s all debian and servers, my home server
lenawhich was the Eierlegende Wollmilchsau or jack of all trades
- interest for all different kind of servers (Web, Mail, VPN, VoIP, etc) of course on encrypted filesystems
- started learning C in 2003 when my first SATA controller drivers had lots of problems in Linux kernel
- exploring network security in bigger networks to overcome http limitations in university network
- from there everything was straight forward, more and bigger servers, bigger networks, more encryption, etc
Besides having a broad general interest in technology and politics some key interest stick out.
- Kubernetes, Mesos
- concepts of distributed services and databases
- Container as a Service solutions
- with hearthbeat and DRBD in 2006
- k8s, scheduling, disruption budgets, automatic rescheduling and distributed microservices
- Infrastructure and Networking
- IaaS, Infrastructure as Code
- Distributed storage solutions
- IP Routing, BGP
- Server client architecure and software design patterns
- Trade Finance
- European payment schemes
- German and international politics
- analog black&white photography
- photos by Lee Jeffries, Vivian Maier, Adrian Aseptyczny and Jonathan Goepfert
- squash and sports in general
- books and reading
This site is written in Markdown, converted with hugo with some styles from ronn and some lazy .css additions
- 0.1 - 08/2016
- Initial layout and css styling
- 0.2 - 09/2017
- Updated some details
- 0.3 - 10/2017
- third time … nope, automated.
make pushis way nicer
- third time … nope, automated.
- 0.4 - 02/2018
- added some hobbies .. yeah, suprise
- 0.5 - 06/2020
The texts and images on this site are not worth copying.
Disclosure according §5 TMG and §55/2 RStV:
Paulibytes UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Paulsenplatz 2 22767 Hamburg Germany
Represented by: Managing Director Michael Wilke email@example.com Commercial Register: HRB 157347 at Register Court Hamburg
VAT ID: DE325821677
No liability for external links from this website.
No tracking plugins, no personalised logfiles. No problem.